Q: Sexuality in Cats

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Q: Sexuality in Cats

Post by Magpie on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:08 pm

If this would be offensive to anyone on here, then of course it won't be done. But I thought that I would ask anyway.

Are homosexual characters allowed in roleplay here?

(In terms of realism: Birds and other animals have been seen bonding as mates with others of the same sex. Since cats do not mate for life, homosexuality in toms is for dominance, not romance. However, cats have been shown to form great bonds with each other, even if they are the same sex.
In the Warriors books, cats are shown to have romantic relationships similar to humans: some of them last, while others don't, and it isn't unusual for a cat to have more than one romantic interest in his/her lifetime. With these platonic relationships in real cats, romantic relationships in other animals, and long-term relationships in the Warriors books, I would say that homosexuality in cat roleplay makes sense.)
Magpie
Newborn
Newborn

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
1/1  (1/1)
Health Bar:
100/100  (100/100)
Character Mood:: Scared

http://forgottenpurrsrp.boards.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Q: Sexuality in Cats

Post by Aurora on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Yeah, this is something I've been wanting to bring up for a while now.
Aurora
Expert
Expert

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/7  (4/7)
Health Bar:
89/100  (89/100)
Character Mood::

Back to top Go down

Post by HowlingStar on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:34 pm

In terms of biology, everything an animal does is to generally aid reproduction and the survival of the species. Perhaps humans don't exactly follow this as they are very intelligent species and yeah. But, yeah. Uh. Gay cats. Yeah, I know that in the books and in general real life, animals do have relationships with the same sex and that they are similar to ones humans have. But, as I said, in terms of biology, the majority of an animal's actions is to ensure survival of the species. Example; When a male lion challenges the Pride's dominant male and wins (thus becoming the new Pride Leader) he then kills all the pups within that Pride. This is a reproductive advantage as it means those pups who have the old Pride leader's genes can no longer spread their "lesser" genes. This means the new Pride leader who is clearly stronger and more fit can spread his genes thus creating a new generation of "strong" lions. This also can tie into the fact the Pride Leaders generally have more than one mate. Animals are very.. Polygamous. xDDDD

But, in saying that, I know there are cases which animals do show affection towards members of the same sex. But, I'm not sure if they "mates" as such.

What does everyone think? Anyone got any hard facts or research which prove homosexuality in cats is in fact possible or impossible? xD
HowlingStar
Administrator
Administrator

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/5  (4/5)
Health Bar:
90/100  (90/100)
Character Mood:: Hhhmm..

http://gbmp.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Feralclaw on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 pm

no go >.<
Feralclaw
Expert
Expert

Location : I am the madness locked away in your mind unable to come to this mortal plain

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
12/13  (12/13)
Health Bar:
55/100  (55/100)
Character Mood:: Get off of me.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipmunkStar on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:36 pm

I actually think it's possible. But, I'm not certain.
ChipmunkStar

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
6/6  (6/6)
Health Bar:
81/100  (81/100)
Character Mood:: I killed him....What would my clanmates think of me, now?

Back to top Go down

Post by HowlingStar on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 pm

My Research - WARNING, GRAPHIC CONTENT. This information is purely research and all in relation to cat biology.

Bleep:

User1:
It may or may not be just a sign of dominance, here's the science behind homosexuality and bisexuality.

MOST animals have these chemical signals called Pheromones, let's call these the X and the Y pheromones (a gross over simplification, but a functional one). Males have the Y Pheromones, and the X Pheromone Receptors in their nose, meaning they pick up on the pheromone signals of the female, and this leads to sexual arousal, attraction, and infatuation. Women have the opposite, the Y receptors and the X Pheromones.

With me so far? This is where it get's interesting.

See, sometimes nature gets it wrong, a male will be born with the Y receptors, a female with the X receptors, meaning before they're even sexually mature they're developing attractions to members of the same gender, and then this manifests during adolescence in sexual arousal. More importantly, often mammals (particularly females for adaptive reasons) have both receptors.

Felines and Canines have very sensitive noses, so they're VERY prone to bisexuality because they smell more to the pheromoness. Even if the ratio of the pheromone recepters is 10 to 1, that 10% will result in sexual instincts. Chances are they're mostly heterosexual, but they have the recepters for the male pheromones because both males and females start out the same in the womb and have pretty much the same genetic code with variations only existing on the X and Y chromosomes.

User2:
They hump other cats to show dominance. The neighbours cat probably considers himself the dominant territorial male (who will hump anyone who comes in his territory ) . Your cat basically scared off the random cat. then the neighbours cat felt he had to reassert his dominance. The behaviour is more common in entire toms but does happen with neuters as well.

User3:
-Content altered-
It is not possible for a male cat to have sexual intercourse or feel aroused by another male cat. In accordance to Biology, male cats have no "physical" (hope ya'll get what I mean by that) attraction to cats and therefore actual "intercourse" is not possible. Plus, the structure of the male cats show it is not possible as well as the instinctive behavior in regards to mating.

User4:
GAY CATS?

Homesexual behaviour is seen in many social animals and is well documented in Bruce Bagemihl’s book “Biological Exuberance; Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity”. Dolphins do it and bonobos are renowned for it. While frequently dismissed as dominance behaviour, some animals, like humans, are attracted to same sex partners indicating a genetic cause (perhaps affecting the brain structure) for homosexuality. Not being social animals, same-sex activities are rarer in cats.

While working at the cat shelter we took in a pair of male cats that we believed neutered. They had been indoor-only companions for years and did not spray or caterwaul. When a female in another pen went into oestrus, the two males went into a frenzy of mating each other. It turned out that neither was neutered and their sexual behaviour had somehow remained suppressed until they encountered the scent of a receptive female. Unable to reach the female, they turned to only available mate – each other. Neutering eliminated this and they remained companions, albeit now wholly platonic.

Sometimes, an adult cat will mount another cat to assert dominance. This may happen when the owner tries to introduce another cat into the household. Sometimes it’s enough for one cat to assert dominance, but sometimes the behaviour continues to the point where the new cat must be rehomed. Though more common where the dominant cat is male, even female cats will sometimes use mounting and the neck-grasp to put another cat in its place, but this is more often attributed to maternal behaviour – females will sometimes pin down kittens when they get too feisty!

CONCLUSION:

Two male cats cannot become "mates" - as its impossible for anything to even happen. But, two male cats do occasionally do show their dominance through displays of.. Things o.O

You never stated in your point sexual relationships - the book never explicitly made a sexual relationship between two characters (that I'm aware of) but, yes, friendships were in fact formed. I often see my cats groom each other, but that doesn't mean they're homosexual. I understand where you guys are all coming from and if the evidence said it was possible, then, I'd have accepted it. But..

Basing this on my research homosexuality in cats in very rare, actual "intercourse" (not reproduction, although that's impossible too) is impossible and the "main" display of homosexual acts is purely for dominance. Although,attraction (not sexual) is possible in cats. Mateship is not possible.
HowlingStar
Administrator
Administrator

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/5  (4/5)
Health Bar:
90/100  (90/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurora on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Dang, Jas, you did your research.
Aurora
Expert
Expert

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/7  (4/7)
Health Bar:
89/100  (89/100)
Character Mood::

Back to top Go down

Post by Feralclaw on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:47 pm

he's a boss at resarch Very Happy
Feralclaw
Expert
Expert

Location : I am the madness locked away in your mind unable to come to this mortal plain

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
12/13  (12/13)
Health Bar:
55/100  (55/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Magpie on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Holy swear, Jason. I JUST FINISHED MY HOMEWORK. I'M NOT READY TO THINK AGAIN.

Hm, that actually is really interesting. The character that I would make homosexual is my female ValiantClan member, Silverrain. I know that she feels incredibly uncomfortable around males, just as a part of her personality, and has never thought of them in any sexual or romantic way. So I can see her becoming good friends with, and then eventually having feelings for, a close female friend.

Also, and this doesn't really have to do with anything but I thought you mind find it interesting...
When it comes to real life mating in cats, I have three. Liberty, Brady, and Penny. Brady and Penny are brother and sister, respectively, and Libby is the lone female.
Brady and Libby have a special bond. They are frequently together and often groom each other, and my family constantly makes jokes about them dating. Recently I've begun to think that that might actually be the case. Brady is much more relaxed around Libby than he is with Penny. He does groom Penny on occasion, but always while standing up and never as thoroughly as Liberty. Liberty doesn't groom Penny.
As far as sexual activity goes, Brady has 'flirted' (or at least attempted to) with with both of them. (Don't worry, he's neutered and they're spayed.) But sex for cats actually is done purely for reproductive purposes, and is actually painful for the female.
So bonds, possibly romantic ones, are sometimes observed in cats. At least, I might've seen one.

They cannot become 'mates' by the definition of the word 'mate'--but would it be acceptable for them to become lifelong partners? Because of the rarity of homosexuality in cats, they would most likely have a lot of trouble with disapproval from other cats, possible even banishment. Might add roleplay drama. Razz But that's not the point of this suggestion.
Magpie
Newborn
Newborn

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
1/1  (1/1)
Health Bar:
100/100  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by HowlingStar on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Cats can have affectionate relationships with each other, regardless of gender. My cats do all the time. But, it's not sexual and as the information and research I collected states that it is rare and is not possible for there to be physical attraction between the same sex of cats. Especially male cats and so I do not think it is possible for female cats as in all the articles I saw, it only mentioned males. I suppose you could have two cats which were best friends. But, yeah. O_O Sorry, I'm basing it all on my research
HowlingStar
Administrator
Administrator

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/5  (4/5)
Health Bar:
90/100  (90/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Magpie on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:16 pm

I understand that sexual attraction is not possible in cats. Are romantic, as opposed to platonic friendships, allowed on GBMP? Anything physical would not be part of the relationship; it would be purely emotional.
Magpie
Newborn
Newborn

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
1/1  (1/1)
Health Bar:
100/100  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by HowlingStar on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:06 am

Uhh. O_O
HowlingStar
Administrator
Administrator

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/5  (4/5)
Health Bar:
90/100  (90/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pigeon on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:57 am

Here is what I interrupted (I do apologize if I seem out of place here)-In the research provided, cats did it because they were trying to assert dominance, yet, that is not what you are wanting. In another piece of research, two male cats had a sexual relationship because their natural instincts came out and were unable to locate the female, but, I don't think that is what you are after, either. Finally. In one piece of research, it says it's bisexuality, but they're most likely heterosexual. I think this may be linked to the fact cats do express platonic relationships, regardless of gender yet are heterosexual. Not actual lesbian cats which have platonic relationships. What it seems you're suggesting is that you want a lesbian cat with a platonic relationship? Is that right? Or a bisexual cat with a platonic relationship? Yet the research said these cats are heterosexual. Plus, if these are rare..Wouldn't it be extremely rare and maybe almost impossible that the two cats would meet and show up together to form a relationship. And one user has opposed the idea, unsure if it is strongly or not. I'm pretty sure in all animals there is a natural instinct to reproduce. . After reading that information, it did not seem to say that cats can be lesbian or bisexual with platonic relationships.
Pigeon
Clan Deputy
Clan Deputy

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
2/5  (2/5)
Health Bar:
97/100  (97/100)
Character Mood:: I love him with all my heart.

Back to top Go down

Post by HowlingStar on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Very true Pigeon. :3
HowlingStar
Administrator
Administrator

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/5  (4/5)
Health Bar:
90/100  (90/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Feralclaw on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:04 pm

strongly against it pigeon O.O
Feralclaw
Expert
Expert

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
12/13  (12/13)
Health Bar:
55/100  (55/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Magpie on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Okay, I understand. :3 Silverrain will remain hetero.
Burnfoot--while I think this discussion is pretty much over, in the future I'd like to know more why you're strongly against something like this. :3 Debating is fun!
Magpie
Newborn
Newborn

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
1/1  (1/1)
Health Bar:
100/100  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by HowlingStar on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:40 am

I was actually curious too, Magpie. But, I didn't want for an issue to arise. xD
HowlingStar
Administrator
Administrator

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/5  (4/5)
Health Bar:
90/100  (90/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Alue on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:51 am

There was so much stuff posted here that I stopped reading halfway through, but here's my opinion. xD
-
It /is/ Warrior Cats roleplay, and the majority of people here are ages 10-15 and older. But most people are pretty young so gay cats would be a bit weird..seeing as this is basically a thing for children. We shouldn't need to get so technical about everything xD. It would be pretty interesting, but still, I'm pretty sure animals lack the intelligence to /love/ another gender. In dogs for example, if two male dogs look like they're 'doing it' (I don't know how to say this in a sort of appropriate way at least xDD) it's actually to show dominance.

Now reading Pigeon's, you had kind of the same stuff as me. But I'll post anyway. xD
Alue

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
2/5  (2/5)
Health Bar:
85/100  (85/100)
Character Mood:: Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by HowlingStar on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Pigeon just recapped my research pretty much. :3 but, ya. I agree with my research and what the majority is saying. Sorry, no homosexual kitties. Razz
HowlingStar
Administrator
Administrator

Main Character Stats
Character slots:
4/5  (4/5)
Health Bar:
90/100  (90/100)

Back to top Go down